Monday 13 April 2009

Reaching new heights

Fresh from my altitude training in the French Alps, I returned with even greater strength in my legs. Many miles were covered during the six days intensive traning. One day we climbed to a height of 11,334ft. This gave a good indication of the oxygen level we can expect on the Table Mountain section of the climb next year. The days were supplemented with evening work in the gym followed by relaxation in the health spa.

Following John's expoits on his mountain bike on Saturday, we returned to the road bikes yesterday and had an uneventful yet satisfying 35 mile trip mostly on the flat. However, 'The Fit One' did throw in a short, sharp, climb to hone the lungs.

Today, being Bank Holiday, we did a bit of 'hill climb' work and sprint work over a 30 mile course. I found myself cresting The Cleish with gears to spare. It must have been the millionaire shortcake I had at the MilkBar cafe in Powmill. A tremendous array of energy re-juvenating cakes without the alpine prices.

I am convinced the alpine ski-ing last week was a worthwhile trip and has set me up well for the Caledonian Etape race in just over 4 weeks. We are planning a dry run of the 81 mile route this Saturday to measure the pedal strokes to the top of the big climbs, particularly over the Schehallion Shoulder. Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment