Tuesday 14 April 2009

Stamina building on the Aberdour Ascent

I found some time today to re-visit one of my short stamina building runs including the Aberdour Ascent. It may not be a Dunning Hill gradient however you fail to show respect at your peril. Last year, my fastest circuit was 59mins and 56 seconds with the hill climb stretch conquered in 4mins 53 seconds. Today was never going to be a personal best with a cold and strong North Easterly, the wind was not going to be my friend today. I also made the mistake of choosing shorts over the longs. 'The Fit One' would relish the climatic conditions in shorts, however, for me it was not a good decision.

The traffic lights also conspired against me. I visualised every one green, and should have bet on everyone on red. Who would have given odds on that happening? Probably only someone planning an epic caper!

Against all the odds, the time was respectable at 1hr:04:59 over the 16.9 distance. The Aberdour Ascent section was climbed in 05:02 which was acceptable given the wind conditions and relatively early in the season. The Heart Rate monitor recorded an average HR of 141 with a max of 168 and so room for improvement there .................. even a bit of slacking evident! It can happen when the Ironman is not in your company :-)

With 48 weeks and 3 days remaining, as I pounded the pedals into the full force of the North Sea gale, I focused my mind on every mile completed as an investment in an experience of a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment