Saturday 19 September 2009

Bigman Mountain Man....

It was a grey start in Fife. I met the Bigman at our usual corner and we set off towards Dunning. It was going to be a day of many hills. Many many hills.

As we climbed towards Knockhill, we chatted through our relative weeks, mine involved the theft of my identity, my new laptop, wallet, iPod etc etc - it was a disaster. I can only hope the poor soul who stole my identity makes a better effort of it than me!!!!

Anyway the climb up knockhill gave the first indication of the day that followed. Bigman led the way and I was dropped off the back. The pelaton was not it's usual size with only 2 of us making the trip. I didn't notice much difference from normal but every time the Bigman got in his stride I fell off the back. I assumed that the Bigman's extra training was paying dividents and felt inspired to let him know that he was 'the man' on the hills. Later in the trip he queried why I was dropping back because we weren't climbing exceptionally quickly. This worried me a little. I think training, like in life, you have good and bad days. Today was just a bad day at the office. Don't get me wrong not an entirely bad day at the office becuase we covered 90km at a reasonable speed.

We climbed up the hill to Dunning, me in the wake of the man mountain, and as we reached the top enjoyed the first glimpse of the autumn sunshine.Given we were both in full winter kit we were both operating above temperature...

In Dunning we met the Balingary Bikers. They were half way round the opposite route. We stopped and shared a few stories before setting off to climb the beast. We were reliably informed by the Fit One that this was the climb made famous by the Milk Race whenever the Milk Race was run.

It starts fairly gently before kicking up vertically and heading for the heavens. It's steep, very steep. You start nervously glancing down at the back ring of the big only to realise that you are already on the granny gear. The hill is unrelenting, uncompromising and the toughest bit of road I know. We climbed silently, well apart from the sound of heavy breathing. A high five welcomed us to the top. It had been a great climb.

The hills don't stop here though and continue for the next 6 miles until you drop down into the valley that is home to Milnathort. A quick chat and Loch Leven's Larder was the coffee venue. We arrived tired and happy. I fear that the arrival of 2 sweaty bikers might not be target market to which the Larder aspires but nevertheless we were welcomed enjoyed our carrot cake and scone before setting off home.

Cleish seemed a mear pimple after the hills we had climbed.

We reached the hill at the bus museum. I bided my time. I had after all lulled the Bigman into a false sense of security. I waited and waited. Just a few metres from the top I went for it. A big YeHa as a arrived on his shoulder and nudged past. But it was all in vein as the bigman managed to grab enough centimetres ahead to claim the victory. He had been ready and was geared up for my eventually doomed but carefully planned assalt at the King of the Mountains. He was a mountain man today. The hills were too small and the climbing looked easy. He is in awesome form at the moment.

The breeze home was a nice wind down to what had been a fantastic day out.

Night training was discussed and car deserted roads seem he place to head. We're on a mission to tame the Epic. Derek's ahead in terms of strength and fitness but I'm going to get stuck in and will get there in great shape. Weighed in at 13 st 10 lb which is not bad given my weakness to beer and chocolate in Belgium!

No comments:

Post a Comment