Wednesday 17 June 2009

A bit of cross training...

Of the Cape Epic team the bigman is the footballer - a bulldozer going forward at speed with good ball control. Chopper Harris at the back - nothing goes past him....

I got a call this morning from a mate who was one short for tonight's game. I actually think his real motivation was to get a lift to the game and I was the only driver available. It was a fab evening in Dalgety Bay and the game kicked off in the late afternoon sun - I felt like a Brazilian in the world cup final except I was wearing a Caley Thistle top.

Our team's defence was tested early. Failed miserably as one of the young, gifted opposition ghosted past most of our team before belting the ball in the top corner. A breakaway brought the equaliser. The game moved into a midfield battle - few chances, lots of tackles and not much of a spectacle for the passing stray cats. Then the game burst into life and we were 3 down.

The old legs were grinding to a halt - passing the ball became key for our team as we tired in the continental sun. We got one back, then another and another. All square couple of minutes to go. Our keeper, who had a hip injury, rolled the ball out to our central defender. I made a deft run into space and the ball zipped into my feet. One touch and it was out to the right wing. I turned and ran into space on the right hand side, the ball was slid back to me and like the great Ronaldo with one touch again I passed to a runner in the centre of the pitch. With vision, he completed a beautiful pass to the left winger who picked the ball up and crossed it in to the box. I had continued my run. The net was bulging in my mind as I met the ball with a crisp volley. Sadly, I missed. A few inches lower and it would of been goal of next season but that's football.

To rub salt in the wound, they ran up the park and scored the winner.

Gutted, sick as a parrott and taking it a game at a time.....

On the way home I saw the Bigman's biking partner from last Monday out for a run. We had briefly discussed his alias when were out on Tuesday and I think agreed he shall be named Marathon Man. He is an exceptional marathon runner. When I bumped into Marathon Man tonight he was living up to his alias building up a head of steam on a training run round the streets of Dunfermline. He's a fast runner, did an exceptional time in completing last year's Edinburgh Marathon and an inspiration for plodders like myself.

Hopefully get out on the bike tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment