Wednesday 3 June 2009

Float like a butterfly.....

I decided that since I was going out by myself I would set myself a circuit so I can see if I'm getting any faster as I train. So I set out on what I'll called the Saline Circuit today full of hope and expectation.

The bike was my friend, the elements were not. A nagging cold wind off the east blasted through the Lycra like it wasn't there and it felt cold even though my temperature gauge was reading 15 degrees.

I pushed hard up the hill to Saline and turned west towards Clackmannan. I was flying. At the bottom of the hill I flashed past a policeman with his radar gun secretly hoping I be stopped for speeding - sadly I wasn't going fast enough and slipped under the radar. The gentle ups and downs of the roads at the bottom of the Ochils didn't slow me down and I was pleased that I was able to push on hard. Sometimes it can be hard to motivate yourself go keep pushing when alone on the bike and I think the though of setting a time gave me a reason to keep going.

I was thinking about weight, diet at this point in the ride but decided not to start the blog with the Brigit Jones Diary start of such and such a date, weight, food, drink etc etc - some details are not worth keeping. The latest start of the famed diet (or lifestyle change as we like to call it!) has lasted, well almost 72 hours......

I turned onto the the Kinross to Alloa road and then quickly off towards Clackmannan. On to the cycle path and into the wind. The cycle path is a long uphill to Dunfermline populated by bikers, runners and dog walkers. I was only held up a couple of times on the first section. At one point I passed an old couple out on what looked like new Raleigh Shoppers, the Madone of the pensioner shopping bike! I though that one day when I reach that age I'd like to be like them - out on the bikes for a run and enjoying the cycle path. Bikers are a fab community from Chris Hoy, Lance Armstrong to beginners out on the stabilisers - always a hello and smile. I don't know Chris Hoy or Lance Armstrong and I'm not sure what they would do if I went passed them but I like to think we are all the same under the skin!

It was about 6 miles from home when I encountered Mohamed Ali Bee - he floated like a butterfly and then, as predicted by the great boxer, stung like a bee. The pain was instant and I now sport a nice red bump on my chest were the bee got me. It was the first time I've every been stung and it's quite painful.

Anyway, mere bee stings don't deter a man on a mission. So after a wobble it was back on full steam. The end of the bike track is never a great site for me as it leaves me the nasty wee climb back up to the village. I pounded on the pedals and reached home in 61.10 - a new record. Well any distance never timed previously is awarded the accolade of a new record.

The target is set for the future and the one hour barrier is up for grabs.

I managed to unclip out of the wrong pedal and fell onto the pavement after I'd stopped the bike today - donkey! I was so embarrassed as 3 cars stopped to check I was ok and have a good laugh!

A good day's training today as I also managed a 4 mile run first thing this morning.

One last thing - my handlebar tape started coming loose. The flapping of the tape must have slowed me down a little.....

No comments:

Post a Comment