Sunday 21 June 2009

Run in the sun....

Today was a proud day in the household. Mrs Ironman did the moonwalk. The moonwalk is a marathon distance race that you must walk and not run. It sounds easy walking but it's not. Moonwalker, as she will be known, completed the race in 6:13 which is impressive. To speedwalk 26.20 miles without running in that time is a major feat and I was really impressed with the effort.

She finished in the top 100 out of 12,000 people sporting the biggest blister I've seen! So I think a running marathon will be on the cards sometime soon. She will get the best of treatment today and huge respect from me.

After I got home, and Moonwalker was sorted, I went out for a run. It was brilliant. I went from Carnock across to the cycle path via the park, down to Cairneyhill, back off road on the path that leads to Crossford, turned left up to the Dean Plantation and then back onto the cycle path and over the fields home. Running frees the spirit more so than biking for me. I've missed it while the achilles has been a problem and it's good to be out on the roads again.

I felt like I could run forever but was concious that you need to build slowly. So I followed last week's long slow 40 minute run with an hour run today. The main aim is not to get frustrated and allow the strength to build and avoid re-injury.

The route was great and the sun shone. Maybe summer has arrived in Fife - it usually lasts a couple of days!

Santiago and the Fit One were out yesterday and made contact from the nice wee cafe in Culross. Good coffee shops are a key part to any enjoyable cycle and the one in Culross next to the art shop is one of the best.

So a new week is about to begin. Plan 2 runs, 2 bike training rides and a game of football during next week. Yes I did say I'd never play again but there you go.....

No comments:

Post a Comment