Thursday 5 November 2009

Bigman does his Guy Fawks......

Guy Fawkes also known as Guido Fawkes, the name he adopted while fighting for the Spanish in the Low Countries

The Bigman, the name he adopted whilst biking in the central belt, was like Guy Fawkes setting fire to the road tonight. He was climbing at speeds only known to him with me, legs like jelly and guts churning, gasping air like a beached fish trailing in his wake. He was on fire.

The Bigman has maitained his impressive fitness levels from his summer alpine bike climbing and seems to have built on it. Maybe the spin classes in Cowdenbeath rank as a category 1 spin classes but his strength is mighty impressive.

The evening was a cracker. A pretty full moon guided our path and the fireworks over Dunfermline and Edinburgh were an impressive site. My heart was lifted by the sight.

We met at the usual spot and headed up Cleish. We swopped stories but I was struggling right from the start. We didn't hang about and the hill passed quickly. Once we had climbed a quick check confirmed we were going for the full circle over knockhill. The view of the moonlight on Loch Leven was stunning - it made me so grateful that I'd come out and not sat in front of the telly.

We rocked along to the bottom of Knockhill. The climb up Knockhill was good but as we reached the last section the Bigman pulled away and opened up a 80 yard gap - it showed the gulf in class!

We parted at the bottom of Knockhill and I set off to Saline and home. I was enjoying the moonlight so much I took the opportunity to switch off the front light on the last single track section - it was safe because I knew the road was straight and I only put my hand over the light but it was exhilirating biking in the dark!

The bigman lit the fireworks - I was the roman candle that went fuff. Still I stuck in and really enjoyed the evening.

The Bigman is good company.

No comments:

Post a Comment