Saturday 21 November 2009

The wrong wind.....

It was the calm before the storm. A window before the next low pressure hits Scotland - there have been a few of them of late.

We met at the junction to Saline, just me and the Bigman. The Bigman had that look in his eyes. It strikes fear in the heart of many a biker. I was nervous but I hoped that my week of, as the Fit One calls it, stealth training would stand me in good stead. I've been running and spinning all week with some weights thrown in but work has got in the way of a good blog!

We rode out at increasing pace to Bridge of Allen. The westerly wind was light - the bigman pushed hard into it and I kept pace up until the last roundabout when he cut the corner and pulled off into the distance. We were motoring.

Coffee and a bun worked it magic and we were off again. It was an odd sensation - the wind was in our face again - it was the wrong wind! How could it not be the westerly wind that was forecast. The Bigman took the lead, he did most of the way back.

The Bigman described our contact with the spaced out friends in Fishcross - it was scary moment but 6 foot plus of Bigman beasting along on Battaglin is more than a match for the hoodlums. These guys looked scary but I suspect the Bigman looked scarier!

The climb up from Fishcross to the turn off to Forestmill was a demonstration of the Bigman's power. The steel was not just in his eyes but also in his legs - he murdered the hill. He's in good shape and will be looking for a pro-team to train with on return from his training trip.

I considered, albeit briefly, to challenge the Bigman on the final hill just before the cafe at Forestmill but a car was crested the brow and in reality it would have been no competition.

We parted at the turn off to Carnock - I'd hardly wished him a good break before I had a puncture and had to walk the rest of the way home.

It was a cracking day. I'm off this week on biz so it might be a more mixed up training week but I'll carry my kit and hit the gym. Otherwise I'll be eating more dust in a couple of weeks time.

No comments:

Post a Comment