Sunday 1 November 2009

Good to be back

After my jaunt to the States last week it was great to be out on the bike again. Winter bikes were selected by those with a choice which in itself was probably a mad call given the warmth of the late Autumn sun and blue skies.

It was good to see the posse again and catch up with marathon man again. I shared my stories of Loch Ness and the 5 mile run I did in Central Park. It was as I was verbally puffing out my chest that I realised that marathon man can run a marathon at the pace I ran my recent 5 mile race at. He is an athlete and very close to qualifying for entry into some of the big races on a good for age grading.

Yesterday made us all realise how good it is to live in West Fife. The autumn colours and leaves falling are a stunning site creating an amazing palette across the landscape. In New York I saw loads of bikers cycling round Central Park. They have nowhere else to go other tackle the busy NY roads and mad drivers so they pedal round and round the park. West Fife offers miles of relatively quiet roads - well apart from the odd boy racer and impatient road rager.

The Fit One's brush with the wing mirror yesterday was a scary reminder that we share the road and not all drivers take the care they should overtaking.

As the afternoon sun was setting I grabbed my running shoes, inspired by my entry into the Outlaw, and ran 4 miles. It was still warm and the late sun was setting in the west - just stunning. A weights session closed out the exercise for the day. Core strength is going to be important in South Africa and I have loads of core to work on!!

No comments:

Post a Comment