Friday 19 February 2010

Marathon De Paris Training

Santiago appeared over on what was going to be a rest day for a run. To be honest he wasn't uninvited as the weather has been run friendly this last couple of days.

He's training for the Paris Marathon in April. One of the marathons that I've done. It was a glorious spring day in Paris in 2006 when I met a friend on the Avenue des Champs-Élysées to start the marathon. The target was sub 4 hours - it always had been before and why should Paris be any different. I had done the training, I was feeling fit and I'd managed to meet the Welsh guy I'd met at the pasta party the night before who shared my dream and ambition.

The race started well. The large crowds lifted you through the stunning streets that passed you by without a glance. There was a job to be done. It was funny as the next day we were wandering round and Moonwalker would say 'you ran past here yesterday didn't you?' and I struggled to remember. A marathon is like no other distance. The pleasure soon fades as you struggle and recover throughout the duration of the 26.2 miles. That's why running in a pair is important. If you're tired your partner pulls you on and vice versa.

We reached 32km in good shape - 10km or 6 miles to go. Out of the blue my right leg refused to function as a searing pain ran down from my hip to my knee. I shouted at my new found friend to run on but being a phsyio he felt obliged to help. He quickly gave me some stretches to do and I pushed him off into the distance.

I stretched, hobbled, strectched, hobbled and stretched again. Some 10 minutes had passed but as we were ahead of schedule I had time in the bank. The final stretch seemed to do the trick as the pain disappeared and I started to run again. The dream was alive. At this point a 4 hour pacer went past me. My dream was more alive than ever. All I had to do was stay with this bunch and I'd make it home.

I ran, the pain had eased and I started to feel good again. At 38km they offer you a glass of red wine. Common sense prevailed and I carried on still attached to the 4 hour pacer. 2 miles to go. I could sense the feeling of doing what I'd set out to do.

I was almost elated when, bang, my leg went again. The same pain running down my right leg. The pain was immense. I strecthed the same stretch, hobbled in the same way and stretched again but this pain wasn't going away. The 4 hour pacer disappeared into the Paris sun and I was alone. Dejected and downcast I needed to finish. I literally ran, hobbled and hopped the last 2 miles. About 400 yards from the finish line I met this guy wandering across the road. I asked if he knew where he was. He replied on holiday in Paris. I looked into his eye's and there was nothing there so I hoisted my arm around his shoulder and we finished the race together. I took him to the medical tent and myself off to find Moonwalker.

I was elated, 4:03, complete failure but absolutely elated. I'd just run the Paris marathon and life felt good. Turned out I'd done my ITB - go look it up! It the bit that connects you hip to your knee.

Anyway back to today, no such drama. We set off in the winter sun down to Cairneyhill, over through the forest to Crossford and then though the gloup in the fields back up to the road and home. Running with a partner is motivational and good fun.

If you're thinking about starting running encourage someone else to start with you or join a local running club. They have runners at all different levels and speeds and will welcome you with open arms.

Back on the bike in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment