Monday 15 February 2010

Today's run picked up more than intended....

I glanced out of the window first thing to a frost free Fife morning. The sky was slowly lightening in the East and although it was still before 7am it looked bright enough to run outside.

I've said this many times but I'm a runner turned biker and I'll always consider myself a stronger runner than biker. I love early morning runs when the air is crisp, it's dry and the sun is rising - it's the most fantastic experience.

So after a short debate I decided to take the pooch. He's not been out with me for a while but I figured he's fit and would manage the 4 miles more comfortably than me. I have a waist belt that attaches the pair of us and we were off.

It was great getting outside again. It wasn't too cold and after a couple of minutes of wrestling with an over enthusiastic dog we settled into a steady stride pattern. This was to be his morning walk as well so respecting his needs are important and we stopped regularly to attend to his neccessary functions.

It was going to plan - first poo stop (for the dog) at Oakley. Scruffy, strained and pushed, I fished the bag out of my pocket. He'd finished, apologies for the graphic description but it is needed, and I reached down to pick up the products of his labour. A lorry came roaring by, creating vaste turbulance, I glanced round to shake my head at his speed whilst reaching for the offending article. Next thing I knew it was there, in my glove, I'd picked up the poo. The lorry had blown the bag off, I didn't notice and before I knew it I'd picked up the poo!

Now if you can picture the scene - I must of looked like a right dumpling but it was a real 'Oh nooooooooooo!' that echo'd round the village. I chased the bag and managed to catch it and bagged the business. The rest of the run was slightly uncomfortable desperately trying to remember not to wipe the sweat off my face with the glove. Not pleasant!

I finished the 4 miles through the muddy shortcut that takes me home via the fields and decanted the gloves straight into the washing machine!

So going to do an nice indoor spin session later with some weights and stretching. No dog and no chance of any more mishaps......

No comments:

Post a Comment