Saturday 29 August 2009

Carnock Epic - a day to remember....


The day was mixed with the odd shower blowing in from the west. Wingman and Mrs Wingman turned up early and made themselves busy preparing the barbie area from exposed platt to enclosed kitchen. Amazing what can be done with a tarpaulin and and an excellent practical mind!

The competitors rocked up one by one with Junior 2 arriving at 4pm to make up the full compliment. We talked through the course and I made my way to the start. I was excited and looking forward to the challenge.

Just as I was about to start the rain kicked in - a heavy windy shower. My initial enthusiasm was dampened when I failed to cleat in and almost fell off! Anyway I struggled over the first couple of km. The wind was blowing hard and I felt pretty heavy legged. It was a start that made me think I wish I'd warmed up and got my breathing sorted out.

Once I got around the corner I settled down on to my tri bars and got my legs moving. I felt good and reached the first corner in a record time for me. The section through to Forestmill was a joy. I was tucked down and flying along with the speedo staying mostly above 35kmh - I was nervous that I'd gone too fast too soon. As I turned on to the Clackmannan road I was sure that I would last.

The roads were wet but felt pretty safe so I pushed hard to the turn on to the cycle path. The rain had the advantage of keeping the dog walkers at home so I got a free run. About a km from the end of the cycle track, bang, my rear tyre was blown. I screamed at the skys...what to do...

I decided to stop and have a quick look. The tyre was flat but it was holding onto the rim so I decided to risk it and carry on. I had to slow right down and try to keep the tyre on the rim. At the end of the track I jumped off the bike and carried the bike up to the bridge - after a quick assessment I jumped back on the bike and eased my way up the Col - the hill to the finish was painfully slow as I was worried about wrecking the wheel.

I'd finished. Mrs Wingman and waverider were logging the times so after a brief chat I was off to shower and start on the food - the food was in excellent hands and everything was in control.

The whole event has been fab. Junior coming down from Aberdeen. Meeting Junior 2 and his wife and the post race craic was excellent. Great food, a couple of beers and good chat with fab friends. It was a cracking day!

A big thanks to all who turned up, wingman for taking the excellent photo's and looking after the food. Mrs Wingman and Mrs Bigman for helping out on everything from timing to food.

Same date next year....

No comments:

Post a Comment