Monday 31 August 2009

Wet work out .....

The weather as the bigman has alluded was pants. Grey skies and lots of rain. I let the bigman down as my plan was to join him on his epic plan - then a meeting got in the way. Then the meeting was cancelled. Then the rain became incessent. Then I worked all day. Summer in Scotland is something special....

I was just about to open a large bag of crisps this evening when my phone lit up with a text.

Santiago had just bought a new pair of runners and was heading out to his local club in Burntisland. It was half six and the text said it was a 7pm start. Instant decision - step away from the crisps and jump into the running kit. I was out and in the car trying to ignore the rain beating off the window.

It didn't let up and my decision to run was tinged with regret but a commitment is a commitment (unless work gets in the way). The group was about 20 strong which was impressive given the incessant rain. We warmed up with a jog around to the local park and then did 3 sets of intervals and sprints. All good stuff and exactly in accordance with my planned programme.

The company was good, the rain eventually began to settle down to constant drizzle - a good Scottish late summer evening!!

Santiago is good company and on the last sprint I suggest a wee race. We turned at the cone as instructed and raced the 40 metres to the cone accross the park. It wasn't like watching Ussain Bolt maybe his granny as we spinted up to the finish line. Santiago got off to a good start, I positioned myself on his right shoulder ready to attack and break the line. I shouted to let him know I was catching him, I should have kept quiet, he lifted the pace and was gone. I had no chance - he's the man....

I enjoyed the company out running and they seem a great bunch.

I'm hoping the weather will improve. It's time to check the lights out for the bike - the nights are fair drawing in!!

No comments:

Post a Comment