Sunday 2 August 2009

Highland Fling....

Yesterday was a cracking day. We met up at the Mountain Cafe in Aviemore. I was meeting the Sky Cairngorm Challenge team to recce the course. Moonwalker was walking to the top of Cairngorm with the team captain of the Cloete Dumplings while I was doing the bike course with the rest of the team.

The rain cleared, the sun came out and following a fantastic breakfast in said Mountain Cafe we set off. The route started at Loch Morlich. It was downhill for the first 10km mostly offroad and the team was in good spirits. We joined the road again near Aviemore and set off north towards Nethy Bridge. We stayed on the road too long and went off in the wrong direction! A good start! Hopefully there will be marshalls at the junctions on race day!

The team started to flag as we neared the end of the route and the offroad uphill section got steeper. My bike wouldn't go on to the smallest cog which was an inconvenience but made the hills a good test.

The scenery was as you would expect stunning and the company excellent. I really enjoyed the day.

When we got back to the car I jumped into my running kit and ran the 8 miles back to the hotel. The run was great - there is a path that runs beside the road that made it really enjoyable.

Back at the hotel I celebrated my day's effort with a nice cold beer......

No comments:

Post a Comment