Saturday 8 August 2009

Top domestique leads Bigman to climbing success....

It was a fab summer's night on Thursday and I felt I should give the view from behind....

The climb was a classic. We'd hardly started when the Bigman shouted 'we're going too slow' - I responded 'go on then....' in an encouraging sort of way - misunderstood by the bigman as grumpiness! (You never know he might have been right!) - and with that he was off.

Like any excellent coach I'd built the bigman up during the day. A text in the morning to put him in a positive frame of mind, a call before we met to check he was feeling Olympic and a short but immaculate lead out. It may not have been as long a lead out as anticipated, I was supposed to get to the house but sadly I made it about 50 yards to the corner. When the bigman passed my originally planned handover point I did shout 'Go on bigman, you're on your own from here on!' - well he was on his own anyway but I hoped the words would encourage.

This is a bit of role reversal for the bigman who normally is the one shepherding the flock of cyclists round the hills of Fife, encouraging anyone struggling on the climbs and leading the peloton in the wind.

Whether it was my superb coaching and encouraging words or just my sheer presence that produced excellence I don't know but the effort and speed was impressive and we celebrated the bigmans success at the top. A new target has been set. I for one will be going for it each and every time I'm out on the hill. I love a challenge.

The bigman holds, rightfully, the Maillot jaune (yellow jersey) and he deserves it after the volume and quality of training he has completed. It's most definitely not about the bike.

He's an inspiration.........

To us youngsters!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment