Wednesday 20 May 2009

Cross training.

Summer has begun in Fife. Temperature's soaring and the finest of Fife tattoo's are all out for inspection!

No biking for the bigman today. A rest day. Has the world stopped turning?

I decided that it was time to give the achilles a wee run out. It has been a problem since I did the Alloa half marathon in March. My physio kicked off the recovery with some excellent work that got me mobile again and since then I've started back out plodding the stunning countryside that surrounds the village. West Fife is vastly under-rated but in my view it is a fine place to live.

So my run extended to all of 3 and a bit miles. The achilles survived and gives me hope that I'm well on the way to full recovery. I was supposed to be running the Edinburgh Marathon which is at the end of May but sadly that was canned by the injury.

Sadly the Fit One and Santiago are both out for Skye due to other commitments leaving the bigman and myself to fly the colours of the Gillespie Road Wheelers. I understand that a separate, more attractive, tour is departing to Arran the same weekend as the trip to Skye. We wish them well on the Tour de Arran and eagerly await to find out who will be wearing the yellow jersey!

I'm sure we'll all come back with some great stories.

The bigman plans a wee run out tomorrow and I might join him if work permits.

My thoughts have turned to what I'll wear for the Skye Sportive. Seemingly unimportant choice unless you're an overweight 45 year old biker. Every race whether biking, running or triathlon I'm the fat, round one lurking around in unfeasibly tight lycra - I hate it! At the Ironman the majority of triathletes are racing snakes. On the move and in the pack I feel ok because sometimes I can beat a snake or two but on the whole I would like to join the racing snake class and not stick out or have bits sticking out of my top.

The bigman is shrinking. I'm not. It might be time to say goodbye to Gu Puddings, cakes, chocolate and the odd beer but then there must be some benefit to all the training I do and life is for living innit!

No comments:

Post a Comment