Monday 4 May 2009

Highland fling......

What a fab day. Despite the weather and 2 punctures we've had a great day.

The chat was great. When I arrived at the luxury apartment, the guys made me really welcome. Dinner was excellent as was the malt! The room and bed was comfy enough but the state of the place was unbelievable - all the owner's stuff was lying round the place in piles of clutter. Outside the house was equally messy. There was a bizarre shed tied on to the top of an old caravan chassis with steps up to it and it seemed to form makeshift accommodation. All very odd.

The day started with a bang as the bigman said - just to add a wee footnote to that story. The wingman had repaired the previous puncture and changed my damaged tyre. It was after we'd pumped the tyre that it blew up with a bang. I have to confess that I assumed that the repair had blown. How wrong was I. The repair had held and the tube had split at a joint! The wingman's repairs are for life! I was grateful that they didn't fill the tyre with porridge as was considered - think of the mess post blow out!

The caravans were genuinely scary. They didn't seem to know the width of the caravan at the back of the car. Maybe this was the first weekend that people have towed the caravan after a winter in store. The A82 is a dangerous road and very busy. The 3 bikes afforded us some protection but we ended up riding quite defensively.

I believe that villages are already bidding, in Tour De France style, for next year's trip to pass through their town. The economic boost to the community is significant. Scones, burgers, coffee, pizza, fish and chips et al all profitable sales opportunities when the amigos hit town.

The guys are the best and have made my short journey with them really good fun. So a personal thanks to wingman, duracell and the bigman.

Had to say I did have a huge giggle when a few miles out of Dunfy I discovered that the bigman is considering a Dawes purchase. I wonder if he'll keep up with Duracell in the great Dawes ride off!

No comments:

Post a Comment