Sunday 24 May 2009

Waist of space......

Well an exciting day - Newcastle relegated, England win against West Indies and I buy a pair of 32" waist jeans.

In reality, I don't really care about the other events but to be wearing a pair of 32" jeans is a major achievement. They may be loose fitting and may equate to other brands 34" but i don't care - as of today I'm a 32". Now I know also that some guys wear a 32" jeans that are really a 38" or 40", you know the type buttoned just above the top of the legs, gut hanging over the top of the folded over waist line. Well, mine are not like that - even the girl in the shop suggested I was a 32" - I liked her and though she was great at her job!

The last time I was a 32" labour was in power, sadly Blair or Brown wasn't the PM and you have to go back to the leadership of Callaghan for me to be in a pair of 32's. However, I've been out for dinner with my inlaws and the 32" may not fit any longer! So for one day and one day only I might have been a 32". The chocolate banoffie pie was worth the sacrifice!

No biking for me today but another cross training run bagged. I've just remembered a great story of a run a few years ago when on a summers day similar to today I was plodding up through the next village to ours called Oakley. On my right I spotted a group of youngsters sitting on the roof of a derelict building. As I approached, they shouted 'hello', I waved back encouraged by the support. Next thing I heard was another of the lads shouting 'run fat' now I was expecting the next words to be 'boy run' and it would have been if the wag sitting beside him hadn't added 'old' to make the heckle 'run fat...old....boy run' - even I laughed. The neds are switched on in these parts!

I retire to bed shortly a (fat) happy man.....wearing my 32" jeans.

After all, it might be a dream......

No comments:

Post a Comment