Thursday 7 May 2009

Oh what a night...................

After having a couple of days off after the Highland Adventure ( and to shake off a chest infection I had developed) I returned to teh gym this morning for a two hour workout. One hour in the gym and one hour in the sauna and steam room.

I had agreed to check in with The Fit One to see whether he was a free for a quick one hour ride this evening. He was free and so it was game on.

We agreed the Aberdour Ascent was the target destination ................ or that was the plan! After cycling 50 yards the chain came off the front ring twice. Not a good start. After picking up The Fit One on route we hammered down to the docks and over the Inverkeithing hill.

Blasting our way out of Inverkeithing, I found myself on a spin bike shouting the famous words of Lance armstrong ......... NO CHAIN! Only in my case it was true. The chain had snapped and landed in the middle of the road. Just as well I had my chain splitter in my pocket. After a few minutes, a tidy job was completed and we were on our way once again. We breezed up the slight rise to Aberdour and turned left towards the Aberdour Ascent. We had just climed the steepest part when my back wheel seized. As I was standing up at the time, I felt myself being hurled towards the handlebars. Fortunately the backwheel released and control was re-established only for me to find the chain had snapped at the point where I had fixed it so recently.

At this point it was time to call the fifth emergency service - Mrs The Fit One - as my emergency service was not available for callouts. Synonomous with his title, The Fit One cycled back home whilst I shared a warm journey in the car.

Having cycled 355 miles, over 5 days, and climbed several thousand feet, it is bewidering that the chain should choose to pack in at this point. With the Caledonian Etape just days away I shall be investing in new chain tomorrow. Perhaps the Ironman and I should pack plenty of spare chains for the Cape epic next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment