Monday 18 May 2009

Don't let the tacksman get you down.....

We arrived in Pitlochrie just after 10am - the weather was bright and sunny and the mood around the finish line was expectant. It was 10.15am when we took our position just after the finish line to catch the triumphant photo's of the team as they crossed the line.

My wife and father in law headed off for coffee (and ice cream for the bigman) and but I remained at my alloted post in fear of missing the big moment. At 10.45am the winners appeared. I grew increasingly excited hoping that the bigman would not only beat his 4 hour target but smash it out the park. As the clock ticked round past 11am I texted my wife to cancel the ice cream as there was a whisper of a problem on the course.

The presenter was vague as to what was happening but explained that some of the riders had been delayed and everyone would be moving again shortly. As time marched by it became more obvious that there was a huge problem - I sadly missed a call from the Bigman at 11.17 - when I realised I called back immediately but it was too late. It turned out to be a request to drive up to the top of the hill with more tubes. Some support crew I turned out to be.......

The Fit One went through the finish line about an hour after his anticipated time and explained that they had been stopped due to tacks on the road. There are many jokes about the cost of road tacks but I don't feel they are appropriate. I really felt for the riders yesterday. I got the impression that everyone did there best to enjoy the day but the delays, lost time and punctures must have been abjectly demoralising. Another friend texted me to say he'd met someone who had packed in after 19 punctures. Can't have been a great day but he must be a whizz with glue, rubber and chalk by now!

The amount of organisation, value brought in to the local community and goodwill that an event like this creates is huge and the protesters only served to steel the resolve of many riders to come back next year. I for one will be signing up as soon as entries open. I really hope that they catch the people who did this malicious act and they are treated harshly by the courts. As a minimum they should be forced to clear up all of the tacks that must be strewn at the side of the road.

So the Dunfy squad all finished and I was proud of them all. Despite what had happened they remained upbeat and the bigman, unknown to him, gave me a lesson in grace and how to make the most of a difficult day. When I called him last night he talked of human spirit, the bond between bikers, the stunning scenery and not of the fact that he had been ahead of target when the punctures started.

We left Pitlochrie, disappointed for the many riders that had trained for the race and those that had travelled long distances but buoyed by the camaraderie shown. The race is not always about winning it's about the journey to the finish.....

No comments:

Post a Comment