Sunday 19 July 2009

Bigman back bigger and better....

The bigman texted me to head out for a spin on his return from holiday. Many posts are expected and I anticipate days of being regailed of alpine climbs!

We met at the Saline junction and set off - nowhere in mind just wherever we fancied. We climbed up to Saline after a brief rain break sheltering under a tree. The first climb up to Saline gave me a taste of the trip ahead - the bigman blasted past me and climbed the hill in a big gear effortlessly. As I cruised up in his wake I realised just how much fitness he has gained while on holiday. I'm sure the hill training has really helped.

We turned right and headed towards the romantically named Vicars Bridge and then up to Dollar. We decided to bike to Bridge of Allen - it was a stiff westerly and we were heading right into it. Despite the wind we were flying - we kept the speed up at about 32kph into the wind. It was hard going but working together we kept up the speed and wheeled in to Bridge of Allen for coffee.

The bike back was revealing again. We had the wind behind and decided on the bike path. The bigman asked what speed we were doing - 32kph - he claimed 'I can't keep this average speed up'. It took me a while to work out what he actually meant - he couldn't keep it up but not because it was too fast but because we were going too slow!! He was strong today - chewed me up and spat me out trailing along behind. I need to get working on my fitness and the bigman has inspired me to renewed effort.

The bigman carried on up the bike path leaving me the Col De Carnock to negotiate - as I started I heard a clicking noise from my back wheel. I needed to get home so kicked up and made it home pretty sure that the effort of trying to stay with the pace of the bigman had caused me to break a spoke!

It was good to get out today. The Epic Caper is still over 6 months away but I'm now focussed on diet and training. Moonwalker and I worked through the diet plan for the week. I'm good at plans especially a plan written by someone else - I can stick to a plan. So day 1 - just over 2,000 calories taken in today and good calories at that. I'm on a mission.

I've an 8 mile run planned for first thing as I get my Loch Ness Marathon training kicked in. I'm in pretty good shape from a run perspective.....

Until tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment