Sunday 19 July 2009

Biking in Brittany.....


My old bike.....

A few weeks ago a good friend offered me the opportunity to use his cottage in France for a week. We jumped at the opportunity and have just returned from a fantastic week in Plogoff near Point Du Raz on the west coast of Brittany.

My research on the area lead to me to believe I was heading to flat area with little challenge. It was pretty flat but had a couple of excellent wee climbs just round the corner from the house. Riding in France is a joy. You are treated with respect, it's warm(ish) and cars give you so much space it's a joy.

I was excited about my first ride. The weather was warm but it was windy - off the west so every time I left the cottage I knew that I'd be heading back into the breeze. Completed 25km of undulating road constantly reminding myself to be on the right hand side of the road.



The days fell into an easy pattern. Get up, take my son (Waverider) to surf school. I am so proud of him. The weather was pretty mixed and getting up for 5 days to pull on a damp and cold wetsuit and jump into the Atlantic was more than I could manage. After a week of hard work he is a fully fledged surfer and has learned the technique and has the skill to confidently jump up on the board. He doesn't always stay on but is up on is feet doing something that I could never manage. Very proud dad!

Most days after picking up Waverider we'd set off to one of the villages in the area, sample the joys of the French bakers cakes (ate far too many!), wander the streets, enjoy lunch (are you picking up a theme!) and then head back to the cottage. Some mornings while Waverider was riding the waves I would run the coastal path - a glorious experience running up and down to the bays that line the west side of Brittany. The late afternoons became my ride time. I didn't want to spent too much time away but managed a couple of 40 to 50km runs which I enjoyed. I also did a little hill training on the roads near the cottage. Not the Alps but a good test.

France is the land of the bike and the number of older guys I saw on bikes was incredible. I think it must be in the blood. The bikes I saw were not all new but well maintained and obviously loved. I cycled past the same cafe most days and as I powered past would get a wee cheer from the people sitting out on the tables beside the road.

The holiday passed quickly, the weather got worse as the week went on but I feel refreshed. At least I managed 5 rides, 3 runs and despite a fair number of cakes, buns and the odd glass of merlot return home fitter and looking forward to getting back on the bike on the roads I love......

The training continues and the Epic gets closer.

Oh and the diet start today! Again......

No comments:

Post a Comment