Wednesday 29 July 2009

Record rides and 5 mile runs....

What a day. Record breaking.....

My bike was looking great - new chainset fitted. I decided to fit my tri bars in preparation for the Carnock Epic in a couple of weeks. I fitted them wrong - probably as you'd expect. I didn't find out this crucial fact until later in the ride.

So feeling in Ironman mode (I was wearing my Ironman Austria top) I set off. Braked to turn corner 1 and my brakes stuck. Disaster. I stopped. A quick check of the bike revealed my own stupidity - I'd fixed my tri bars around the brake cables - doh! Anyway, yanked the cable and the brakes came loose and I was was off again. 30 odd seconds lost....

The saline climb seemed easier with my new compact chainset - not Mont Ventoux but a good start to the Carnock epic course. I was flying. I reached the Forestmill cafe turn feeling strong but slightly frustrated - my right tri bar was loose and part of the challenge was holding it up while in the tuck position. I managed to stay low most of the way to the turn and realised things were going well.

The path was busy but not excessively so and I managed to keep a good speed up to the Carnock turn off. I was left with the Col Du Carnock - it was easier on the compact. A final spin at the top, down the hill and I was home in a PB OF 58:46 - A full minute off the previous best. YE HA!

The gauntlet is truly thrown down....

I know the boys are up for it and will be back to give the challenge a good go.

I had a wee run later in the day. 5 miles at 8minute mile pace. I was expecting to be knackered but once I got moving I actually felt pretty good. I love running......

No comments:

Post a Comment