Monday 27 July 2009

Contador might have a race on his hands.......

The text lit up my phone at lunchtime. Fancy getting out on the bike later in the afternoon it beeped. We agreed 4.15pm at Carnock....

The bigman appeared on time - one thing on his mind - the Carnock Epic. Lets run the course.

We set off, timers clicked into action and we pedalled off up the wee hill out of Carnock. The bigman said let's take it easy - words that weren't really meant to be taken literally. We started at pace. I felt rusty and a bit tired but I was determined. I think yesterday's 11 mile run was still in my legs but I really had no excuses as the bigman had already completed a 40 mile tour earlier in the day.

He was pushing and I was hanging on. A regular tale recently. I felt like I was holding him up - not only felt but knew, there was no doubt he was faster than me. We reached the top of the climb to Saline a good 50 yards apart - I was behind. I checked my watch and we were a minute down on my previous best but then we weren't going for the record were we!

We turned into a really stiff westerly - it was hard going. The bigman was in front I was gasping for air behind. Everytime I moved in front to take my share he moved to one side to confront the breeze. I was pretty sure he wanted to do the ride unsupported. We reached the cafe at the end of the Saline Road and turned gleefully away from the head on wind. The downhill past the pig farms was a joy (despite the whiff of lingering pig poo in the breeze!).

Time was passing slowly! We were moving quickly - well the yellow peril was and I was still in the same grit the teeth and stick in. We were held up a few times on the path by dogs, people and small children. Some of the folk with dogs looked at us with disdain and our thanks remained unacknowledged. Frustrating cos it is after all a cycle path....

Anyway back to the col du Carnock, our local Alp D'euz. The bigman was flying up the hill. I was out of the saddle breathing out of everywhere. At the top there was no time to relax. The final push and we were back - 63.11 (edited - error notice by Fit One) on the clock. An amazing time for the 31.4km course.

All of the training is paying off....

PS The bigman's gone and got work. I wonder if it will affect the training regime......

No comments:

Post a Comment