Friday 30 October 2009

Oops I did it again.....

The bigman reminded me a couple of weeks ago about an email I wrote to him with the idea that we do the Cape Epic together. I suggested in the email that my ironman days were done and I needed a new focus. I maybe was too fresh after my dreadful swim in New Zealand and the experience (Ma)clouded my judgement.

But I still have business to do with ironman and my aim is to go for sub 14 hours - although in my heart I hope to do closer to 13 hours. A big improvement from my two previous 15 hour efforts.

So this evening, along with Santiago, I entered The Outlaw. An ironman distance event which comprises a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and a 26.2 mile marathon - a grand day out! I'm really chuffed that Santiago is going to join me in the quest for IM 2010. There is no doubt that Santiago has the strength of body and mind to be an Ironman next August. The training will be significant and the time commitment will be consuming.

My personal hope is that I'll complete the Cape Epic and be strong on the bike. I've just done Loch Ness marathon so I know what that takes. My swimming is the issue. I've been fortunate to get to know a swim coach and with his help my hope is I'll sort out the technique by going back to basics........it's going to be tough.

So back on the treadmill (literally) and a plan is going to be created around my major goal of finishing the Cape Epic.

It was an odd birthday present from Moonwalker but one of the best.......

No comments:

Post a Comment