Sunday 18 October 2009

Stalling is the new falling.....

Yesterday I was home bound sorting my well documented plumbing problems. I'm gald to report the heating is working again and the guy who came over did a fab job. So after he'd left I was able to nip over to the Bigman's house to pick up the 'red flash' for Waverider. The 'red flash' is a basic road bike that the Bigman has kindly lent to Waverider to test his road legs.

After a bit of tinkering at lunchtime today we set off for the cycle track on the 'red flash's' inaugural flight. Waverider was a little nervous. He's a big lad and in order to accomodate his frame we had to put the seat up a few inches. A road bike takes a bit of getting used to because the set up is more aggressive than a hybrid or mountain bike. The handlebars are narrower and therefore the riding position feels unstable and unusual on getting started.

We set off up to the bike path with Waverider gripping the handlebars tightly and concentrating on keeping the bike on the road - it didn't seem wide enough at points! We took our time down the hill to the junction with the track.

Once on the track, Waverider was focussed on learning riding technique and getting used to the bike. The first little incident was when we practiced and emergency stop - somehow he managed to bump his knee off the handlebars. The second was when he lost concentration and wandered off piste into the grass at the side of the road. When I looked back he was picking himself up and dusting down - glad to report no damage and no dent to his enthusiasm.

As we arrived home I asked how he had enjoyed the ride apart from the falling over....Waverider came back immediately - 'I didn't fall over I was stalling!' So falling is now so yesterday and stalling is the way to come off the bike these days....

I'm hoping I don't stall for a long long time!

The bike needs a bit of TLC and a few minor adjustments which we'll get sorted tomorrow I hope - hopefully we have a new member of the biking fraternity and he'll be out with us on a Saturday soon.

When we got home I switched into my running kit, grabbed the dog and ran a wee 4 miler. He's becoming a good running partner and seems to have got the hang of the running lead that I use. It's a fab place to run and although the sun wasn't splitting the stones, the scenery is none less stunning and with the darkening, ominous late afternoon sky adding to the drama of what was a great day.

A new week begins tomorrow but with Waverider on holiday it might be good to get out again to built his confidence. Forecast for the week is not so good but they seem to get it wrong as often as they get it right so you never know.....

No comments:

Post a Comment