Wednesday 13 January 2010

Return of the tredi..........

After my Tuesday rest day I was back in the gym tonight following the familiar routine. Like, Luke Skywalker I jumped into my battle craft aka the tredi and fought like a true warrior against the dark evil which I'll call darth vader of sloth to run 4 miles in 30 minutes. I wasn't in the mood as you might guess. I don't know but sometimes you just don't feel like more exercise.

You start a 2 hour session with a sense of trepidation but usually that disappears as the endorphins kick in. The majority of competitors in the Cape Epic are local South Africans. I'm sure that you will be aware but it is summertime in South Africa and the race is towards the end of their summer. Our fellow bikers are going to be in peak condition. We are training indoors, snow receding but frozen roads preventing outdoor training until this weekend we hope.

The frustration over the 'big freeze' has been immense so as I settled onto the spin bike for another 45 minute climb I kept thinking of the warm summer days pushing the pedals of my mtb up the big mountain climbs that lie ahead. It certainly focussed my efforts once more and
the time passed reasonably quickly.

After the bike I pulled out the weights. Building muscle is supposed to be beneficial in weight loss as apparently muscles take more energy to feed and therefore you apparently burn carolies quickly - time will tell as I convert my 12 pack into a no pack....

I'm hoping that the weather forecast for the weekend is accurate as usual, i.e. not at all, and the predicted snow doesn't materialise. Time to hit the road for real.

No comments:

Post a Comment