Thursday 7 January 2010

Stealth spinning spotted.......

It was another cold evening. Temperatures in Carnock were set to fall to -10 deg so yet another late afternoon gym session was planned.

It's funny how you feel before you set off to do another 2 hours session. I can't really describe the feeling. I can say it's not one of great joy but more a feeling of being driven to do what you have to do to achieve the goal in March.

So I hopped onto the treadmill and pushed out 40 minutes at good pace. I still feel more of a runner than a biker - bizarre given I've done so much biking over the last 3 years but running was my first love and I suppose is the training that makes me feel most comfortable. With no break I stopped the treadmill and headed over to the spin bike.

The spin bike that I have is the same as the version's that they have in 'proper' gyms and is a great piece of kit. I try to vary my training on the spin - sometimes doing more speed work, sometimes more climbing and sometimes intervals. Yesterday was a climb set.

So there I was battling my way up the Col Du Galibier in my mind when my phone rings. I keep my phone close to the bike just in case a Client calls. It was the Fit One. He was on his way home from another busy day at work when he spotted me through the front window of the house. He suggested that I speed up as the pedals weren't turning at pace and queried if I was in the recovery phase of my training. What the Fit One couldn't tell from his car was I was pushing huge resistance and melting under the pressure of the constant climb. It was good to speak to him as it took my mind off the ongoing battle.

After the bike session, it was on to the weights. I'm trying convert my 12 pack into something more akin to a no pack. A 6 pack would be nice but I suspect that is beyond me so I'll go for what is achievable and try and get rid of the gut before race date.

My calorie counting exercise is going well and I'm managing my intake well. I'm into a challenge and this is probably my biggest challenge of the Cape Epic. Training for endurance races is fine. With 2 ironman triathlons in the bank I know what it takes to push yourself above and beyond what is normal. My issue is food. I love cakes, chocolate and bread. But I suppose the key is having the tools to know exactly what you are doing and the programme that I'm using is very good. The link to it is http://caloriecount.about.com/.

So with food issues slowly being tackled I'm ever more hopeful I won't be the fattest starter in the race!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment